It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:49 pm Advanced search

Public Beta Test For Navig8r M, G, I Series[Warning!!!]

Welcome to the LASER Forum.
Terms and conditions of use.

Public Beta Test For Navig8r M, G, I Series[Warning!!!]

Postby club_admin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:23 am

Hi All
We are apologise for the long wait and thanks for your patience. Currently, we are working on the latest map data update software and in the final testing stage. Metroview has no longer develops their own map data and they change it to use the Navteq data. Therefore, it is a whole new software for Navig8r GPS M, G, I Series.

The benefits of using Navteq data:
- More Map Data covered
- Speed data is included in the release (no need buy it separately)
- More New POI covered

We love to have your input as well. If anyone are interesting in this beta test version, please download the software and give us feedback. This beta test version can be downloaded from http://www.laserco.net/Test/Updater_Map_Guarantee_Navteq_beta_test.exe

Warning !!! Before you download, please make sure you are using for testing purpose and backup your data from the GPS unit to your computer first. As this software still under development stage and it is not the final version. It may cause error during the navigation.
club_admin
Guru

Re: Public Beta Test For Navig8r M, G, I Series[Warning!!!]

Postby gregb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:02 am

error found. Disconnect between Maplestone place chapman act and local shops via perry dve. or school.
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby club_admin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks Greg.
We will report the errors... Thanks for helping us
club_admin
Guru

Postby gregb » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm

I am still getting random program stops and invalid trip messages part way thru a journey
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby club_admin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 am

Greg

We have found the issue and now fixing for it. If there has any new update, we will let everybody know.

Thanks for testing for us.
club_admin
Guru

Postby gregb » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 am

A whole Canberra suburb, Swinger Hill, is missing again from the listing. Shows ok with st names etc on map.
Have noticed that block boundaries have disappeared from the maps. Is this a consequence of the new maps?
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby LenLawrence » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi,
I've been using the Beta test software for a bout a week. The "Warning school zone" message is garbled - seems to be replayed at a super fast speed. Also found the "Invalid trip" message when taking an alternative route on the way home from work. Turned from Great Eastern Hway into Seabourne St, Parkerville, WA. No attempt to recalculate the trip, just an "Invalid trip" message.

Also finding that the unit doesn't always turn off when power is removed in the car. Sometimes turns off correctly, sometimes there is no change to the screen, but the audio message that the unit is shutting down comes on, and it shuts down after 30 seconds, and sometimes it seems that it waits until the battery goes flat. On the later occasions, it does not power up again once it receives power, but has to be turned on manually, and then goes through the whole power up sequence.

Len
LenLawrence

Postby gregb » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:03 am

I would recommend a reload of the update program from scratch. ensure you are not using any download assistance tools. We have never found out why but these can create errors in the resultant download. a bit time consuming and a nuisance I know but often works.
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby club_admin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks Greg for helping. We are working closely with the comments user provided. Hopefully, we can get other version soon to release
club_admin
Guru

Postby micwit » Sun May 11, 2014 8:02 pm

I have been using the beta software for about 2 weeks, so far problems encountered are, auto on and auto off does not always work, problems with invalid trips, random screen freezes requiring a reset, speedalerts seem ok so far(on par with previous speedalerts.)

Regards Mick
mick m35, i43.
micwit

Postby gregb » Mon May 12, 2014 9:09 am

see admin post of 23/4.
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby Jonwil » Wed May 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi,
Have been using beta test for about a month, but only in local area. Noted a few problems, as follows:-

"Invalid trip" lock up. Changed route before reaching destination and "invalid trip" locked screen. Could not be recovered by "Cancel" button, only by switching off and restarting.

Speed limit change audible alarm occurs right on the sign spot, but limit indication on screen can be as much as 500m further on. Seems to be a time-dependent delay: at low speed distance delay is shorter. Audible alarm seems to be same for speed limit increase and decrease. Coupled with display detail, this can be risky if you have been travelling comfortably in 70 kph zone and think you have entered an 80kph zone, when it is actually 60 kph, or heaven forbid, 50 kph!
(Why can't the road be marked, where it can be seen, instead of signs hidden behind trees?)
Contrary to the above, I have not noticed any delay between the audible and visual warnings for school zones.

Gray Avenue, Kogarah, NSW seems to be missing from the database, although displayed but not named, on the map. Travelling north on Rocky Point Road to Gray Street, Kogarah, the instruction is to "turn left at Route 1, Princes Highway, then right at Gray Street". Not much longer, but a rare hard left turn at an extra set of busy traffic lights, and then a right turn at the next set of lights. But it does get you there!

I really shouldn't be such a whinger. It's wonderful to have an almost up-to-date map!
Jonwil

Postby club_admin » Thu May 29, 2014 9:08 am

Have you tried the new link of the final version yet?

Postby club_admin » 19 May 2014 16:06
Dear Customers

The new map update for Navig8r I, G and M series GPS is now available for download via the link below:
http://support.navig8r.com.au/navig8r/index.asp
club_admin
Guru

Postby MGA » Fri May 30, 2014 10:18 pm

Jonwil wrote:Speed limit change audible alarm occurs right on the sign spot, but limit indication on screen can be as much as 500m further on. Seems to be a time-dependent delay: at low speed distance delay is shorter. Audible alarm seems to be same for speed limit increase and decrease. Coupled with display detail, this can be risky if you have been travelling comfortably in 70 kph zone and think you have entered an 80kph zone, when it is actually 60 kph, or heaven forbid, 50 kph!I!

Hi Jonwil, from the look of your post you might be able to answer a question that I have posted here several times but have never received an adequate reply to. I have also Emailed customer support and they also were very vague in attempting to answer my very specific question relating to the speed alerting functions of the new mapping system. I am a "i" series user and a very contented user of the old "speedAlert" system. I thought it was excellent because the speed alerts were SPOKEN, and they continued until you slowed down to the legal speed limits. The result was that the driver using this system was never in doubt about the correct legal speed limit. My numerous questions as to how the speed alerts were handled under the "new" maps were never definitely answered. It appears from your post that there are "audible alarms" .... my question is, are these alarms "beeps" or a "voice"? Then I gather from your post that the "new" speed limit is shown on the screen ... is that correct? And also, if the new "speed limit" is a reduction, and driver does not adjust to the reduced speed limit, are there additional speed alerts, or is there only the initial audible alert and no more?

My main use of my i50 is for the SpeedAlert system, not the mapping .... and so I am reluctant to replace my current system (albeit that some of the speed zones are no longer current) with a system that just beeps at me once when there is a speed limit change, and then relies on me to look at the screen.

Your experience with the new mapping in relation to speed alerting would be much appreciated.

Regards MGA
MGA
Guru

Postby Jonwil » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi MGA,
Apologies for delay; have not visited forum for a few weeks. I don't think I can answer your question fully, but I can offer a bit more information.
My previous post was based on the beta release, but now I have installed the final update I have not yet noticed any difference.
Speed zone change alarms are neither voice or beeps but 3 tones in rapid succession. The tones may rise on speed increase and fall on speed decrease, but I find it hard to tell the difference, so perhaps there is no difference. I haven't been able to find a way to sample the sound without driving through a change of speed zone. (Just realised I have a digital voice recorder, so next car trip will record the audible alarms).
Yes, the new speed limit is displayed on the bottom left of the screen as red numbers within a red circle, but there is a delay before the number changes. From memory, I think I have observed that, if the vehicle has not slowed to the new lower speed limit, the new speed limit when displayed, will flash until the vehicle speed is below the limit.
As far as I am aware the initial audible alert is the only audible alert, but I have not been game to continue exceeding the speed limit for very long.
I agree that the old spoken speed alert was much better and cannot understand why it has been changed, particularly when the school zone alert is spoken and the relevant icon seems to be displayed on screen without delay.

Like you, I use my i50 mainly for audible information rather than mapping. Often on routes I know well, I turn it on but do not bother to set a route. Although the screen does not follow the vehicle location the audible alerts for speed and school zones still work at the appropriate vehicle locations. My eyesight and mind are deteriorating and I find the additional audible information is most helpful.

Regards, Jonwil
Jonwil

Next

Return to Welcome, Terms and Conditions