It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 am Advanced search

Public Beta Test For Navig8r M, G, I Series[Warning!!!]

Welcome to the LASER Forum.
Terms and conditions of use.

Re: Public Beta Test For Navig8r M, G, I Series[Warning!!!]

Postby Jonwil » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi again MGA,

Have just noticed that the i50 map update page now offers either the Navteq Q3 2013 update or the Metroview March 2013 update.
I assume then that you could install the Navteq update and try it out, and if you don't like it, revert to the older version.

Regards, Jonwil
Jonwil

Postby MGA » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Jonwil wrote:I don't think I can answer your question fully, but I can offer a bit more information.

Hi Jonwil, you certainly have offered me more information and it is much appreciated.

Like you, I think it's unfortunate that the old SpeedAlert "spoken" alerts are gone. Equally unfortunate is that I don't think there is any other GPS out there that has that facility, ... so it appears we are stuck with what is offered with this new mapping.

As you get more used to the new software, perhaps you could keep the forum posted in regards to how you are "adapting" to the speed notifications. What I mean by that is because you and I are used to the previous spoken alerts, it might take some time to "listen" for those new "tones" you described. I guess what I am hoping for is that after you have gotten used to the tones, you will say that they have become second nature to you and that they are doing the job of alerting you to speed changes. So let me know if that happens.

Thanks for your reply and input
Regards, MGA
MGA
Guru

Postby gregb » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:09 am

Do you have sound turned on ? There are spoken speed warnings on the new software. works fine on my M and I models
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby MGA » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Jonwil wrote:Hi again MGA,Have just noticed that the i50 map update page now offers either the Navteq Q3 2013 update or the Metroview March 2013 update.I assume then that you could install the Navteq update and try it out, and if you don't like it, revert to the older version.Regards, Jonwil

Thanks Jonwil, .... You are right ..... but I guess I'm a bit loath to download the new software in case it stuffs up my i50 in some way .... I suppose I'm being a bit overly cautious by waiting for adventurous souls like yourself to be the crash test dummies for me :o)

By the way .... have you seen Greg's latest post regarding spoken speed warnings where he mentions "turning the sound on"??? If you could let me know about your reaction to that, then I might be very well tempted to try the download.

MGA
MGA
Guru

Postby Jonwil » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi MGA,
Have just seen Greg's comment. I'm sure I have had sound turned on because I have had spoken warnings of school zones.
But I have never heard spoken warnings of change of speed zone, just a tone, which is the same whether speed limit goes up or down. I guess I have never exceeded speed limit for long enough to hear a spoken alert.
I have looked into the works of the navigation system. Spoken information is handled by a text-to-speech engine and the messages appear to be contained in data files - too complex for me to follow. However there are 5 audible alarms as .wav files in the folder "MobileNavigator\Media".
These files are named "CameraAlert.wav", "highalert.wav", "LOWALERT.WAV", "speedchange.wav" & "speedchange_up.wav".
"CameraAlert" is the sound to warn of speed and redlight cameras. "Highalert" is a string of 3 beeps in quick succession and "LOWALERT" is a single longer beep of the same frequency. I have never heard these with the i50 in use and have no idea what they are for.
I can detect no audible difference between "speedchange" and "speedchange_up" and examination of the waveforms for these shows only very small differences.
I intend to substitute 2 significantly different sounds for these last two and do a road test to see what happens at speed limit zone changes.
If the coast is clear, I may try exceeding the speed limit to see if there are spoken alerts!
Regards,
Jonwil
Jonwil

Postby gregb » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:48 am

I am perplexed to say the least. I get both overspeed alerts and speedzone changes spoken. very odd
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby gregb » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:50 am

MGA, why not just do a backup of your current system and restore it if something goes wrong?
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby MGA » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:06 am

gregb wrote:MGA, why not just do a backup of your current system and restore it if something goes wrong?

You are 100% correct Greg, and actually I have previously done a back up in anticipation of what you are saying ..... but I'm a bit reluctant to try it in case I stuff something up in the process. A good example being like what is happening between the differing experiences of you and Jonwil in regards to the spoken speed alerts .... you can hear them and he can't ???? and If I downloaded the new maps I'd be concerned that I'd done something wrong ( as I have only basic computer knowledge.)

In regards to the spoken alerts, ..... surely Admin can advise as to whether your results are "normal" or Jonwil is correct. I really can't understand how it can't be clarified easily. All admin needs to do is call the software developer and ask if spoken speed alerts are incorporated into the program or not .... it really shouldn't be a mystery to them?????????

MGA
MGA
Guru

Postby Jonwil » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi gregb & MGA,

I think I have solved the problems. If all else fails, ready the bloody manual!
I didn't get a complete one, just a quick-start guide, but I found one on the Navig8r website.
On the main menu, select OPTIONS, then select TRIP, then SpeedAlert. When I first set up I did this, then touched the SpeedAlert icon. A green tick appeared alongside the icon and I thought speed alerts were turned on, and that was that.
But if the checked icon is pressed, a new page opens, and speed alerts can be enabled, and High Alert, Low Alert, Camera Alert, Speed Change and Zone Change can be selected On or Off. When I found this page only Camera Alert was on, hence my problems. These "switches" are for the spoken alerts. Apparently the tone alerts mentioned in my earlier post are always on.
But wait, there is more! Press the "More" button on the SpeedAlertConfig page and another page appears where thresholds can be set for Low, High, Really High and Maximum Speed. I assume the first 3 are relative to the zone speed limit and Maximum is true speed.
I also found how to get into what Navig8r calls "Cruise" mode ("Don't tell me, follow me!") I find this very useful when I know where I want to go!
So MGA, I don't think you should have any concerns about upgrading.

Happy navigating,
Jonwil
Jonwil

Postby MGA » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks Jonwil, ... At last some positive news .... I am starting to get a warm fuzzy feeling. :o)

Great investigating mate. Have you actually tried it out yet to see if you have in fact solved the problem?

I really hope you are right ... but I can't help but wonder how the "SpeedAlert" options you discussed affect the new mapping software because SpeedAlert is no longer a part of the new software. I could understand if there was a "sound on/off" button, ..... but a button relating specifically to "SpeedAlert" confuses me. But if you can tell me that all your great investigating has solved the problems then I'll be delighted.

Let me know when you have tested it out fully and that you are happy with all the spoken speed zone alerts and I'll give it a try myself.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Thanks to you Greg also for your suggestion.
MGA
MGA
Guru

Postby Grumby » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:15 pm

G'day Everyone,
I installed the final version on my G35 and its seems to work OK. However, some of the speed limits are out of date. For example, Albany Highway in Victoria Park, Western Australia now has a speed limit of 40 km/hr, the unit shows 50 (It was correct previously on "Speedalert" and is correct on my wife's T43 unit). There are some other anomalies I wont bore you with. Any plans to update speed limit information?
Regards
Kim W G35
Grumby

Postby MGA » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi Grumby, I know Jonwil is testing his unit and will get back to the forum with the results, but can I basically ask you a similar question. Putting aside the speed zone errors you mentioned in your post, ... how do you compare the two systems? and what are the main differences ?? (if any).

Regards, MGA
MGA
Guru

Postby Grumby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Hello MGA,
The new system has two problems other than speed limits as I see things.
1. Searching for addresses is slower because the unit doesn't focus on local areas. If I search for a street or a suburb, I will have to deal with every suburb and street in Australia
2. Volume needs to reset every time the unit is turned on (is OK after snoozing)
Cheers
Kim W G35
Grumby

Postby MGA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks Grumby, I'm one of those users who is more interested in the Speed notifications .... so basically I'm just wondering if you as a driver would feel more comfortable in avoiding speeding fines with the new system or the old system.

BTW, I'm in no way a "speeder" but I'm just a bit paranoid about accidentally going over the limit and then having to make a "donation" to the government.
MGA
Guru

Postby Grumby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:34 pm

MGA,
I agree - speed warnings are very important. I wouldn't mind either system, as long as it is accurate. Consequently, I prefer the old system at the moment
Kim W G35
Grumby

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome, Terms and Conditions