It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:44 pm Advanced search

Public Beta Test For Navig8r M, G, I Series[Warning!!!]

Welcome to the LASER Forum.
Terms and conditions of use.

Re: Public Beta Test For Navig8r M, G, I Series[Warning!!!]

Postby MGA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Grumby wrote:MGA,
I agree - speed warnings are very important. I wouldn't mind either system, as long as it is accurate. Consequently, I prefer the old system at the moment

Can I ask if you are getting "spoken speed warnings" with the new system ... because Jonwil was having a bit of trouble in this regard. I know you have noted some incorrect speed zones, but putting aside the accuracy for a minute, ... are you finding that all the speed alerts with the new system are all actual spoken alerts or merely "beeps" ?

Thanks.
MGA
Guru

Postby Grumby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:52 pm

G'day MGA,
I am getting both - spoken and beeps on overspeed
Kim W G35
Grumby

Postby Jonwil » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi MGA,

Firstly, re your confusion. The "SpeedAlert" trademarked system is no longer included in the update, but the Navteq map data includes all the speed zone, school zone and camera data. (I had an old GPS system with Navteq mapping and it even included names, postal addresses and telephone numbers for all POIs!). It seems Navig8r have modified their software to link into the Navteq data for speed zones, cameras and school zones, but have retained the same menus, screen icons, audible alarms and spoken messages as on the old system, so it looks as though there has been no change(lazy blighters). All audible and spoken alerts remain as they were on the older system, except that the speed zone change audible alarm (the .wav files speedchange and speedchange_up are no longer used).
With one exception, I am now very happy with the speed warning system. Speed zone changes are announced in close proximity to the speed limit signs, exceeding the speed limit by the Low Alert setting causes the speed limit screen icon to go to a full red background, gives a single beep and a voice announcement of the speed limit, and exceeding the limit by the High Alert setting gives a triple beep and voice announcement of the speed limit. Voice alert is repeated until the speed is reduced to below the Low Alert setting.
My one complaint is that, under some conditions, the announcement of the speed limit can be very delayed. This seems to be sometimes when turning from a 60 zone into a 50 zone, but regularly when entering a road from an off-road location.
For example, every time I leave my driveway, about 20m off a 60kph road, I can drive 200-300m before the 60kph speed limit is announced or appears on screen. Last week I drove to a carpark at a hall about 100m from the road. When I left I travelled over 3km through a series of 50kph streets before there was an indication and announcement of the 50kph speed limit. This week I did exactly the same, and did not get an indication of the speed limit until I had travelled 2km.
However, all my testing has been done in "cruise" mode, and this might cause this response delay. When driving in navigation mode, the software knows where the vehicle is supposed to go, so presumably could be prepared for a change of speed limit. But in cruise mode the system only knows where the vehicle is after confirmation of a change in GPS location. Probably something like the delay which occurs when one deviates from the calculated route.
I don't feel this is a very serious problem; if I drive at 50kph wherever there are houses on the road and only increase speed when I am told I can, I should stay out of trouble.
So MGA, I hope you are now convinced that you cannot be worse off if you upgrade.
Regards,
Jonwil
Jonwil

Postby MGA » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Jonwil wrote: I hope you are now convinced that you cannot be worse off if you upgrade.
Regards,Jonwil

Thanks for the detailed explanation Jonwil .... that was great.

You have convinced me :P

Regards and many thanks, MGA
MGA
Guru

Postby gregb » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:21 am

I agree with jonwill. I suspect the delay in reporting speed changes i some areas is down to processing power/ processor speed and what the programs priorities are. nav probbaly comes first and therefore any interrupts are postponed until done.
But as I said above I still get all the familiar warnings. One change is that school zones warnings are still on at 1800 hrs and saturdays....
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby MGA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Jonwil wrote: you cannot be worse off if you upgrade.Regards,Jonwil

Hi Jonwil, I have "kinda" upgraded. :lol:

Harvey Norman have the c43 on special at $77 so I bought one. My favorite old i50 sometimes has a problem starting up, so I figured I needed a back up option, so I figured it was worth spending $77. I will give the c43 a work out over the next few weeks and report back on my experiences.

MGA
MGA
Guru

Postby mr.sneezy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 pm

An update from me using the current Navteq firmware.
This release is much better then the previous beta's. When I tried the previous releases with the Navteq data I could hardly go more than 10km without a full system lockup.

Since installing the current one last weekend I've had no issues BUT for just one lockup the first time I used it. After a hard reset that once it's been fine ever since.
Speed zone accuracy is much more up to date than the old Metroview systems. I do still get voice announcements for zone changes and for warnings. So it's the same as it was before the Navteq update as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Martin
---------------
i50 & M43 owner (now I interface on the M43)
mr.sneezy
contributor

Postby club_admin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 am

Thank you very much Martin for your detailed email.

Yes, we have found the same that the new Navteq update will give you a lockup at the very beginning, maybe due to the different map structures. But after a reset or map re-installation from scratch if required, it will go.

Thanks again for your contribution.
club_admin
Guru

Postby gregb » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 am

That is odd I didn't get a lockup altho it buzzed but kept working. so far looks good

Greg
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

Postby club_admin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:58 am

No.. it doesn't happen with all the units.
club_admin
Guru

Postby ronr » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:42 pm

have a G35 and after download of latest update the navigation screen is frozen although GPS Receiver and Travel Kit screens work OK.
Have reset several times to no avail. Tried to reload the update but fails as "the unit is in use"

thanks ron
ronr

Postby club_admin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:50 am

The map data must have been corrupted. Better email to [email protected] for further assistance to re-build it.
club_admin
Guru

Public Beta Test For Navig8r M G I SeriesWarning

Postby Harriettwhido » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:31 am

Thanks
We do have a Garmin but keep getting routed down small roads.
It's is a Nuvi.
We want to get a second for a back up and second opinion
Should we get a Garmin camper do you think
Thought we should get a different make?
Harriettwhido

Postby newnew » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:41 am

Most of the smart phones now come with Map function or Google Map can be installed, as a backup.
newnew

Postby gregb » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Well the USB socket just departed from the mb on my i43 and I only have my m35 left now. The socket on the g broke and my other i43 wouldn't start. Am going to miss the I43....:-(
Am going to a tablet for my off road driving now although the metroview on my phone isn't too bad...
Greg
M35/I43
gregb
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome, Terms and Conditions